Sunday, December 17, 2017

Soil Test Sequence

So, last post I said I was working on a test sequence for Soil.  Here it is...


Obviously, the video above is not my best work.  It's really just a rough version of what's to come.  I was trying to figure out how to portray the bird, so that it'll come across as scary, like the xenomorph from the Alien franchise from which I drew inspiration.  I realize that the best way to portray a monster is to show pieces of him at a time to make him appear intimidating.  Then as time goes by, he can be revealed in all his terrifying glory.

Was this effect achieved in the video above?  I would say about 50 percent.  I think a lot of it may have to do with timing and editing.  In the final version I may also try some lighting options.  This was a nice test run.  Although not fully satisfying, I think I know where to go from here.

Below are some photos of how I built and bird for this sequence.  Like most challenges, I figure the best approach was to break it into pieces.

 Here's the close up for the bird's bust.

There are four twisted 18 gauge wires holding him up. 

The wire was bent in a ring that is under the block of clay. 


Here are the feet.  Each claw is metal wire with putty at the end.  The legs have metal tubing for bones.  They are covered by glued pieces of cloth that were painted black.  The tale has a wire mesh for some flexibility.

Nothing like duct tape to bring everything together! 

The wing also has metal tubing for bones.  It is in three sections with pieces of foam that have feathers glued on them.  The feathers were cheap.  They fall apart too much, so I may have to get them somewhere else.

Hey, as long as it works and the audience doesn't see it on screen... 


I went through three puppets just to film this test sequence.  Because of the raking motion, the ankles are definitely subject to more stress than the rest of the body.  The arms can break easily too. 

The armature design is fairly basic.  Pronged tee-nuts are the way to go for tie downs in the feet.

In other news, during the month of October AnimateClay.com had another one of their challenges.  The topic for the month was Halloween.  I can't fully explain except with the cliche that inspiration struck me early on in the month.  In a matter of one weekend, I was able to develop an original Halloween story, and figure out how to approach production in a timely manner.  In three weeks, my schedule consisted of eating, sleeping, working, reading the Bible, going to church, and animating.  That was it.  My Saturdays were completely consumed by animation.  I'm glad to say I had the full support of my parents the entire time.  The film below was completed in three weeks.


I'm honestly amazed what I was able to accomplish.  A one minute video is one thing, three minutes is insanity.  Seriously, something is wrong with me.  I'm very satisfied with how the characters, story, and animation all turned out, especially given the short time frame.  I'm so glad God allowed me to complete this film on time with such quality.  Without Him, it definitely wouldn't have been possible.

Yeah, it's because of fun little projects like this that I may get distracted from the bigger projects like Soil.  However, there are some benefits.  For one thing, I'm doing a lot of practice to help prepare for the bigger projects from an animation and film making perspective.  Solving problems on the smaller projects can also prepare me to solve problems for the bigger ones as well.  Also, having a wide variety of content, will help me get more attention on the internet which can hopefully carry over to the bigger projects.

I am working on another fun little Star Wars video.  I plan to upload it by the end of January next year.  I also hope I can start production on Soil in summer 2018.  I'll have to see what God has in store!

Thanks for reading and may God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment